Last Song Played
San Antonio's Greatest Hits
On Air
No Program
Last Song Played
San Antonio's Greatest Hits


200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >

Pakistan imposed blanket ban on Indian content over Kashmir

Pakistan's media regulation authority said Thursday it was imposing a blanket ban on Bollywood films and other Indian content on its television networks and radio stations amid increasing tension between the two nuclear-armed rivals on the issue of the disputed region of Kashmir.

The ban will be enforced from Friday and any TV and radio station found violating it will be shut down, the Pakistan Electronic Media Regulatory Authority, or PEMRA, said in a statement.

Indian movies are popular in Pakistan and Pakistani musicians and actors are extensively used and are well paid by Bollywood.

PEMRA gave no reason for the move, but two government officials said the step was taken following reports that some Indian filmmakers were refusing to use Pakistani actors in movies. They said some Indian cinema owners also stopped screening films with Pakistani casts. The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.

India termed the move as "unfortunate."

"It shows lack of self-confidence on Pakistan's part. It is an unfortunate development," Vikas Swarup, spokesman at Ministry of External Affairs, told reporters in New Delhi. He said there was no "blanket ban" on Pakistani artists performing in India. He added, however, that "in view of the prevailing atmosphere and taking into account security considerations as well and sentiments of local organizers, we will do so in a case to case basis," in an apparent reference to a demand for banning artists from Pakistan in the wake of an attack in the Indian-controlled part of Kashmir last month which killed 18 Indian soldiers.

Pakistan and India have a history of bitter relations, and the media on both sides appears to have become the latest battleground. Some Pakistani cinemas have vowed to stop showing Indian films in response to reports that Indian directors are refusing to hire actors from Pakistan.

The two government officials said certain parts of the Indian film industry had been asking Pakistani actors and singers to leave India since last month's attack. They said Indian media had also criticized Pakistan following the attacks. Pakistani authorities say Indian forces have been carrying out human rights violations in the area for months.

India and Pakistan each administer part of Kashmir, but both claim the Himalayan territory in its entirety. Rebel groups have been fighting against Indian rule since 1989. More than 68,000 people have been killed in the armed uprising and ensuing Indian military crackdown.

The Bollywood ban means an end to a law introduced by former President Pervez Musharraf which permitted the screening of a daily maximum of 86 minutes of Indian content in Pakistan.

Pakistan's Foreign Ministry said earlier it had lodged a strong protest with New Delhi over the latest ceasefire violation in Kashmir that killed one Pakistani civilian and wounded another 12.

The ministry said it had summoned a senior Indian diplomat and demanded an investigation into Wednesday's firing by Indian troops along the Line of Control. It said Pakistan asked India to "maintain peace and stability" in Kashmir. Pakistan returned fire in the incident.


Associated Press Writer Ashok Sharma contributed to this story from New Delhi, India.

Watch: Star Lord and co. are back in first 'Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2' trailer

Star Lord and company are back in the first teaser for "Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2."

>> Read more trending stories

The highly anticipated sequel to director James Gunn’s 2014 hit "Guardians of the Galaxy" will come out in May 2017.

>> Related: 'Logan' trailer released

The first sneak peek at the Marvel fan favorite is only a minute-and-a half, but fans will want to watch it to the very end for the biggest reveal.

<iframe width="390" height="219" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The trailer held few plot details but social media users have taken it upon themselves to speculate and share excitement about the upcoming film. 

'Manchester by the Sea' leads Gotham Awards nominations

Kenneth Lonergan's family drama "Manchester by the Sea" has picked up a leading four Gotham Independent Film Awards nominations, including best feature and best actor for star Casey Affleck.

The Independent Filmmaker Project announced nominations Thursday for its 26th annual awards Nov. 28 in New York. The Gothams honor independent films and mark one of the first galas in the film industry's lengthy awards season.

"Manchester by the Sea" is facing off in the best feature category against Jim Jarmusch's "Paterson," Richard Linklater's "Everybody Wants Some!!," Kelly Reichardt's "Certain Women," and Barry Jenkins' "Moonlight."

The acclaimed coming-of-age story "Moonlight," which opens this week, also was singled out for a special jury award celebrating its ensemble cast, including Mahershala Ali, Naomie Harris and Janelle Monáe.

'Logan' trailer released

He's been teasing it for days, but Hugh Jackman and 20th Century Fox are giving fans of the X-Men franchise their first full look at the upcoming installment of the comic book movie series, "Logan."

Jackman, posting to Twitter, and Fox, posting to YouTube released the first full trailer of the film due out next year. 

<iframe width="390" height="219" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The trailer shows an older Logan than we last saw in "X-Men: Days of Future Past" and "X-Men: Apocalypse."

>> Read more trending stories  

It also features Patrick Stewart as Professor Xavier.

"Logan" hits theaters on March 3.

Actress pleads not guilty in North Dakota pipeline protest

Actress Shailene Woodley has pleaded not guilty in a North Dakota court to criminal trespass and riot charges after her arrest in a protest against the Dakota Access pipeline.

Court records show the "Divergent" star entered her pleas on Tuesday through her attorney Alexander Reichert.

Woodley and 26 other activists were arrested Oct. 10. She livestreamed her protest on Facebook.

The Standing Rock Sioux want construction of the $3.8 billion pipeline halted, saying it could taint the water supply and encroach on tribal burial sites. Protests supporting the tribe have been going on for months.

Woodley could face 60 days in jail and $3,000 in fines if she is convicted of criminal trespass and engaging in a riot.

Dinosaurs roar into Montana governor's race with new ad

Dinosaurs have roared into Montana's race for governor with a renowned paleontologist who consulted with Steven Spielberg on the "Jurassic Park" movies saying the Republican candidate would spend taxpayer money on private schools that teach creationism and mislead children about how old the Earth is.

A new television ad features former Montana State University paleontologist Jack Horner saying candidate Greg Gianforte thinks the Earth is only a few thousand years old. Horner says Gianforte supports using taxpayer money to fund "private schools that obscure the truth about dinosaurs and the age of the Earth."

"He'll say I'm attacking his religion — I'm not," Horner says in the ad. "We just need to make sure that our kids learn the truth. I'd think twice about voting for Greg Gianforte."

Gianforte, a Bozeman technology entrepreneur who is making his first run for political office, is in a tight race against incumbent Democratic Gov. Steve Bullock. Gianforte campaign spokesman Aaron Flint on Wednesday called the ad silly and said it misrepresents Gianforte's strong support of public schools and teachers.

"From his personal support of CodeMontana, computer science in every high school, support for more trades education and more — Greg is proposing increasing investments in our public schools once he's elected governor," Flint said.

Gianforte does not have an opinion on the Earth's age, Flint said. Regarding Gianforte's views on evolution, Flint forwarded a comment made last year by Gianforte in which he said, "I believe young people should be taught how to think, not what to think, and a diversity of views are what should be presented."

The ad is funded by a newly formed political action committee called Montanans for Truth in Public Schools, a group whose spending was part of a state-by-state analysis given to The Associated Press by the Center for Public Integrity, a nonprofit news organization. It aired over the weekend in the Billings, Bozeman and Missoula markets.

The committee's treasurer, Adrian Cohea, said the group is concerned that Gianforte would promote teaching creationism and intelligent design alongside evolution.

"The purpose of the group is to educate the public about Ginaforte's desire to use public dollars to fund private schools that may be teaching methodologies in evolution that are at odds with scientific consensus," Cohea said.

Documents obtained by The Associated Press show the group is funded by 12 donors. Its two largest donors are Billings television broadcasting pioneer Joe Sample and Helena real estate developer Alan Nicholson.

Gianforte has steadfastly refused to talk about his religion, and it has not emerged as a major issue in the campaign. He attends and helped build an expansion to Grace Bible Church in Bozeman and has donated millions of dollars to religious organizations in the U.S. and in Africa, according to tax records released by Gianforte last year.

The tax records show Gianforte's foundation also donated $290,000 to a museum that holds the creationist view that humans and dinosaurs coexisted.

Horner, one of the world's best-known dinosaur researchers, left Montana State University's Museum of the Rockies over the summer. Michael Crichton based the character Alan Grant on Horner in the 1990 book "Jurassic Park," and Steven Spielberg brought Horner on as a technical adviser on all of the "Jurassic Park" movies.

Horner declined to comment Wednesday, saying the ad speaks for itself. In an interview with The Associated Press in May, Horner dismissed creationism as "pseudo-science."

Review: 'Jack Reacher' sequel not as good as 2012 original

The first film, "Jack Reacher," established the title character as a brilliant, brutal loner dedicated to justice. He's a former military officer turned drifter, unfettered by emotional ties, motivated purely by exacting righteousness.

What makes an archetypal character like this fun to watch is an unpredictable story, where the audience and protagonist together uncover the mystery. The 2012 film achieved this beautifully, packing action into a compelling thriller that developed the villains as much as the hero.

In "Never Go Back," the bad guys are one-dimensional caricatures and the lone wolf is driven by protecting a teenager whom he insists from the start isn't his daughter. This leaves the film riding on its action sequences and the charm of its central characters, played by Tom Cruise and Cobie Smulders. And while they're incredibly appealing, they can't do more than the story allows.

Cruise, who has made himself this generation's ultimate action star, is perfect as Jack Reacher. He's steely, strong and almost accidentally handsome. The ageless actor does most of his own stunts and effectively uses his eyes to convey his character's guarded sensitivity.

Smulders, who's played a small role in the "Avengers" films, proves herself an action star and leading lady as Susan Turner, an Army major who has taken over Reacher's post in the military police force. Turner is investigating the murders of two soldiers in Afghanistan when she's removed from her office and jailed on espionage charges.

Reacher comes to her aid, but another official warns him off, taunting him with a pending paternity lawsuit that claims Reacher fathered a now 15-year-old girl. Reacher denies it, but goes after the girl (Danika Yarosh) anyway. Suddenly, he'll do anything to protect her.

This contrivance undoes the suspension of disbelief. Nothing about Reacher's character suggests he's yearning for fatherhood, and yet she becomes his main motivation.

"Never Go Back" is based on Lee Child's 18th Reacher novel. The 2012 film was adapted from a much earlier work in the series, so perhaps Reacher's desire to be a dad is covered in the volumes in between.

The teenager is the pawn in this story as Reacher and Turner try to uncover corruption high in the military ranks. They find that beyond a cover-up of the soldiers' murders, crooked officials may be supplying weapons to insurgents in the Middle East. The villain appears to be a white guy in a suit with an American flag pin on his lapel, but he isn't named and doesn't speak until the film's third act.

Meanwhile, a trenchcoated heavy (Patrick Heusinger) is tailing Reacher, Turner and the teen. He's the catalyst for the chases and fight scenes, which director Edward Zwick cuts together so quickly, their grace is hard to appreciate.

Still, there are some breathtaking action sequences, including a chase through New Orleans' French Quarter that sees Reacher scaling wrought-iron balconies above a bustling Halloween parade on Bourbon Street.

Smulders handles her share of the action and holds her own with Cruise, which is great to see. Turner may be female, but her character's depth and strength matches Reacher's. With Smulders and Yarosh on camera almost as much as Cruise, "Never Go Back" doubles the number of key women from the 2012 film. If only the story was as good.

"Jack Reacher: Never Go Back," a Paramount Pictures release, is rated PG-13 by the Motion Picture Association of America for "sequences of violence and action, some bloody images, language and thematic elements." Running time: 118 minutes. Two stars out of four.


MPAA Definition of PG-13: Parents strongly cautioned. Some material may be inappropriate for children under 13.


Follow AP Entertainment Writer Sandy Cohen at .

Actress pleads not guilty in North Dakota pipeline protest

Actress Shailene Woodley has pleaded not guilty in a North Dakota court to criminal trespass and riot charges after her arrest in a protest against the Dakota Access pipeline.

Court records show the "Divergent" star entered her pleas on Tuesday through her attorney Alexander Reichert.

Woodley and 26 other activists were arrested Oct. 10. She livestreamed her protest on Facebook.

The Standing Rock Sioux want construction of the $3.8 billion pipeline halted, saying it could taint the water supply and encroach on tribal burial sites. Protests supporting the tribe have been going on for months.

Woodley could face 60 days in jail and $3,000 in fines if she is convicted of criminal trespass and engaging in a riot.

Michael Moore debuts film on Trump weeks before vote

Michael Moore has premiered a surprise film discussing the presidential election just three weeks before Americans head to the polls.

Moore debuted "Michael Moore in TrumpLand" in New York on Tuesday night in front of an audience of his fans.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, the film features Moore speaking about both Republican nominee Donald Trump and Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton on stage earlier this month in Wilmington, Ohio, a hotbed of Trump support.

The liberal documentarian urged the crowd at Tuesday's premiere to vote for Clinton next month.

The Hollywood Reporter says the film will screen for one week at the IFC Center in Manhattan beginning Wednesday. It will also be shown at a theater in Encino, California.

Moore says he hopes more theaters will be announced soon.

'TrumpLand': Michael Moore releases surprise Donald Trump documentary

Yet another October surprise has dropped, this time courtesy of filmmaker and Donald Trump critic Michael Moore.

>> Is Trump TV coming soon to a screen near you?

According to Time, "Michael Moore in TrumpLand," a documentary about the Republican presidential nominee, debuted Tuesday with a free screening at IFC Center in New York. 

>> Read more trending stories

Mashable reports that the film "is said to be an extension of a one-man play that Moore had planned to perform in Newark, Ohio." Moore said the community board at the theater there "banned" him from performing – a claim officials denied, saying they didn't approve the contract with Moore because of a rushed time frame and questions about the show, the Columbus Dispatch reports.

According to The New York Times, the documentary will hit the big screen in New York and Los Angeles for a week. Fans also can buy the film on iTunes starting Wednesday, Mashable reports.

Read more here.

200 items
Results 31 - 40 of 200 < previous next >